Sunday, December 5, 2010

A few things every hunter should have....


Being active in the outdoors, its never hard to find that new something you have to get to make your life easier or your time afield more enjoyable. Whether you truly need it is a different question. If you've got a hunter on your shopping list, consider these basics that should be in everyone's backpack or blind bag:
  1. If I plan to go out early or stay out late, I always bring a headlamp. Trouble is, I sometimes forget to pack the one I have since it moves from bag to bag. That's why I've grown to love the Petzl e+lite. The newest version even includes a whistle. With a red flasher and a variety of white light settings, this is perfect for searching through your bag in the dark, or finding your way out of the woods.


  2. One item long considered a must for anyone in the outdoors is a knife. Whether you carry a multi-tool, a folder or a fixed blade, there are two simple rules for knives. First, it must be close at hand, and second, it should be sharp. I've long been a fan of CRKT Knives, and have been known to have one in my blind bag and another at my belt.
  3. Falling into the category of "gee, I don't PLAN on using that" is a windproof lighter. While were at it, matches in a dry container is a smart bet too but you don't have to buy the $100 dollar numbers either. For the past 5 years, I have had a lighter made by DAC Technologies and a recent search says they go for about $7
  4. The last little item I never go into the woods without is considered by many to be outmoded in these days of GPS and that is a compass. In my bird vest, this occupies a space that is more easily reached than even my shells. It doesn't hurt to buy a nice one, and my favorite is the Suunto M3d Leader

    If you don't have these in your bag, get em there or add them to your Christmas list so someone else can buy them for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment